Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Taking your small dog to Costa Rica

First ask your vet. if he or she is certified Internationale vet? Ask if they have the form APHIS 7001 from the USDA? Also this form can now be done on line too. Make an appointment get the shots and your certificate. Fill out the form 7001 carefully! They will return it unsigned if not correct!
Enclose money order for $36 made out to USDA and Also enclose copy of Vaccination certificate
Mail to:
USDA, APHIS
8100 NW 15th Place
Gainesville, FL 32606

Do not forget to enclose your return prepaid envelope. They said 2 to 3 days to process.

The certificate is good for 30 days and not one day more. I thought they would let me slide once on the 31st day but no they walked me and my little dog out of the airport in Costa Rica and said I was a heath problem and not to return until I had all current paper work so I missed my flight. I had to stay 3 more days in Costa Rica because I needed one day for the vet, one day for the government stamp and returned to the airport the next morning. Well that was more money and more time. Just a reminder no government stamps on weekends or holidays so do your planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment